Welcome to the web site for Midway Occupational Health Services, the leading occupational health, safety and rehabilitation service provider in the central and lower North Island of New Zealand.
Midway prides itself on providing superior on-site occupational health services to companies of all sizes across all sectors of business. Together, we can help you meet today's operational and legislative requirements and, in doing so, provide your employees with a safe and healthy working environment.
Have a look round our site, and please feel free to contact us with your questions or to arrange an obligation-free presentation or quote.
Well 2015 has started and will herald the new Health and Safety at Work Act. It is still unsure as to when this will be implemented, as preparation for support for implementation continues.
This Act is based on Australia's new OHS legislation, which became law a little over two years ago, and is the template for New Zealand's own health and safety at work reforms.
At the annual LegalSafe Conference in November 2014, Michael Tooma the Sydney-based head of occupational health, safety and security for Norton Rose Fulbright, had five recommendations for New Zealand workplaces ahead of the law change (adapted):
• Look closely at contractual arrangements, especially those coming up for renewal.
• Identify your officers and introduce a due diligence regime using the criteria in the Australian legislation.
• Review your systems and be prepared to amend them.
• Look beyond the workplace, as the legislation has a broad focus that includes things like public safety and product liability.
• Investigate incidents and - even more importantly - near misses, as these provide the best opportunities for prevention at least cost.
source: alert24 31/10/14 www.safeguard.co.nz
We at Midway OHS have already been very busy helping clients, old and new, in particular with staff health monitoring in preparation for the upcoming legislative change. Please contact us for further information. Good resources and information are available from several sites, such as MBIE; Worksafe and Safeguard.